It’s that time of year again - time to reduce my tax bill! Here are the charities that we’re donating to this year. I think they’re all great causes, so I encourage you to check them out.
- Electronic Frontier Foundation - The internet is the most innovative force in our lives and the EFF working to preserve freedom on the net.
- Free Software Foundation - When software is free, it means that we don’t have to reinvent the wheel over and over again. That allows developers to focus on more and more interesting problems.
- American Red Cross - Too many tragedies this year.
- Asha for Education - A secular group bringing education to the most needy in India
- World Federalist Movement - Supporting the idea of a global community, where countries interact through law and cooperation, not through force.
- Grameen Foundation - Helping the world’s poorest escape poverty through self-sufficiency
- WNYC - To support my NPR Podcast habit. I wanted to give directly to NPR since I only listen to podcasts and not to the local radio station, but I couldn’t figure out a way to donate to NPR on their website.
- Epilepsy Foundation of South Central Wisconsin, American Cancer Society - donations for friends who were raising money.
You can look up most charities on the Charity Navigator website to see how efficient and organized they are. Most of the ones above received the highest rating, 4 stars.